Grilled chicken is one of the easiest and best barbecue meals you can grill quickly. It is not only delicious but also a very healthy form of protein and definitely a good alternative for your diet. It can be seasoned to suit anyone’s tastes too.
Grilled chicken is a scrumptious and healthy food that you can prepare in a matter of minutes. This protein-rich food is a great dish that you can serve for lunch or dinner. If you plan to add variety to daily meals, then you should consider preparing this tasty food. Just follow these tips on how to end up with a perfectly grilled chicken.
Grilling a Whole Grilled Chicken
You can make a perfectly grilled whole chicken by following these simple and easy steps:
1. Remove the giblets and rinse the chicken thoroughly. Then, pat the chicken dry by using paper towels. Then, combine salt, pepper and minced herbs such as basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, or cilantro. Season the inner and outer portion of chicken with the prepared herbs and spices.
2. Prepare the charcoal grill by arranging a bed of hot coals. Rake the coals to one portion of the grill. You will have to grill the chicken beside the coals, and not over them.
3. Turn only one of the grill burners and place it on high heat setting. Make sure that you leave the other half of the grill unit to prevent burning of the chicken.
4. Use a wire brush in cleaning the hot grill grate. Then, use tongs to hold a clean towel while you coat the grill rack with oil.
5. Put the whole chicken with the breast portion on the unheated area of the grill. As you cook the chicken, make sure that the grill is covered for about half an hour. Afterward, turn the chicken breast side up, and continue cooking until the skin turns golden brown in color. Make sure that the meat is cooked well by poking it with a fork.
6. After 30 minutes of cooking, cut into the middle portion of the chicken. The juice should run clear when you slice into the thickest portion of the piece.
7. Allow the grilled chicken to cool for about 15 minutes before carving it.
Grilling Chicken Pieces
Another way of grilling chicken is by cutting it into parts before cooking. These steps will serve as a guide on how to accomplish grilled chicken without any hassle.
1. Rinse skin on and bone-in chicken parts with cold water. Next, pat each chicken piece with paper towels. Put seasoning on the chicken such as salt and pepper, and rub each piece with olive oil.
2. Arrange medium-hot coals on a charcoal grill. You can also turn your gas grill on to medium-high setting.
3. Brush the grill grate with a wire brush before coating the rack with oil.
4. Put each chicken piece on the grill and cook uncovered for half an hour. Turn the pieces several times until the skin is golden brown in color and the meat is cooked thoroughly.
5. Brush marinade or barbecue sauce onto each piece after cooking for 20 minutes. Do not add it before cooking because it will burn the chicken. When you notice that the chicken begins to char, move it to the cooler portion of the grill.
6. Check the chicken for doneness by cutting the middle portion. You will notice that the juice runs clear as you cut into the grilled chicken piece.
Additional Grilled Chicken Tips:
Make sure that you marinate the chicken for several hours before cooking, as this will give the meat a rich flavor and aroma. The best seasonings for chicken include lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic, as well as lime juice onion and cilantro. These marinades will boost the flavor of the grilled chicken.
Grilling juicy chicken can be quite challenging though but with the right recipe and some experience, you will be able to make the perfect grilled chicken which you can enjoy yourself or with your family and friends. Just throw in a few vegetables on the grill and you will have a healthy and delicious meal in no time.
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken parts, washed and cleaned
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice, concentrate
- 1 orange zest
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 oranges (without rind), cut
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Clean the grill of any dirt or dust and heat the coals.
- In a bowl, combine all the tomato paste, vegetable oil, vinegar, orange juice and zest and mix them until the mixture is smooth to form the sauce for grilling the chicken.
- Place the chicken parts on the grill and make sure that they are skin-side-down and away from the center heat. Let them cook for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken parts over and grill them for another 10 minutes.
- Brush the chicken parts with the sauce you have created earlier and grill them for another 10 minutes, turning them occasionally so that they are cook evenly.
- In another bowl, make the salad by mixing the tomatoes, oranges, scallions, vegetable oil, vinegar, pepper and salt. Serve the grilled chicken parts with the salad. Enjoy!
Back to Easy Chicken Recipes